Ever wondered what a dietitian does? Ever tossed up the idea of going to see a dietitian but never followed through?
Eating a healthy diet and having a positive relationship with food plays a pivotal role in enabling you to live a healthy life. Our team of qualified dietitians specialise in helping people living with disabilities reach their full nutritional potential so they can live life to the fullest. That’s why Hit 100’s dietitian, Brook Maguire, answers some common questions about what dietitians actually do, how it all works and what you can expect.
WHAT DO DIETITIANS DO?
Many people think that dietitians only see people for weight loss and just tell them to eat salads all day… Well, I’m here to clear this common misconception! While we do often see people for weight loss and love chatting about healthy foods – there is so much more to it than that.
Our dietitians see people of all ages, genders, nationalities and financial circumstances, with a range of different medical conditions. Some of these issues include:
- weight loss, weight gain and malnutrition
- cardiovascular disease, diabetes, heart disease
- allergies and intolerances
- gastrointestinal disorders
- general healthy eating
- hypertension (high blood pressure), hypercholesterolemia (high blood lipids/fats)
- peculiar eating habits such as food hoarding
- fussy eating
Our dietitians take an individualised approach and understand that no two people are the same. They can work with you to determine which foods are healthier for you and can develop a healthy eating meal plan with you so you can get closer to reaching your goals.
WHERE DO I SEE A DIETITIAN?
We understand that people learn in difference ways, which is why we offer a range of services to educate and teach our clients about healthy eating and overall wellbeing. Depending on what you are looking for, our dietitians can:
- come and visit you at your home
- meet you at a cafe
- meet you at a supermarket
- chat with you over the phone or on skype
One of my personal favorites is running shopping tours where we can help you shop to your personal budget and dietary requirements. We also do larger group sessions for carers, family members and anyone else interested in nutrition topics as well as offering cooking lessons for those of you wanting to increase your independence in the kitchen.
For larger organisations and group homes we can undertake menu assessments and reviews to ensure all nutritional needs of residents are being met.
Long story short, the sky is the limit! All of our dietitians go above and beyond to ensure you are reaching 100% of your potential.
WHAT DOES YOUR FIRST ONE-ON-ONE SESSION WITH A DIETITIAN LOOK LIKE?
The initial session will vary depending on your age, circumstance and what you’re looking to achieve.
A typical 60-minute initial consultation might include:
- Getting to know you and what you’re looking to achieve (it is really important to get across at the start what you want to get out of each session so we tailor it to you)
- Chatting about your medical history
- Chatting about your current diet (it can be helpful to write down all the foods you eat in a journal a couple of days before you see your dietitian so you don’t forget! Remember, we are not here to judge you on the foods you eat so being open and honest is the best way to get the most out of your session.)
- Making some recommendations
- Setting some goals for the next appointment
You will leave each session with a personalised plan to work on over the coming weeks which will allow you to work towards your nutrition goals. To avoid bombarding you with information overload we like to take small, manageable steps to ensure you make lasting changes. It is likely you will need several follow ups to ensure we cover everything with you.
HOW DO WE HELP MANAGE GOALS?
Our dietitians design tailored plans oriented around your individual health goals and needs. Not only do we educate you and your loved ones about healthy eating, we also teach you essential lifestyle skills, such as how to shop, prepare and cook healthy and simple meals. Our ongoing involvement with you and your carers allows you to continually improve your eating habits and overall health.
On top of this, we track your progress over time to help overcome any challenges or barriers to good health.
DIETITIAN COACHING AND THE NDIS
Our dietitian coaching services can be fully covered by NDIS funding, depending on the your NDIS plan.
For more information please contact us on 1300 448 100 or via email at email@example.com
Article written by Brook Maguire – Accredited Practising Dietitian at Hit 100.