Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Muesli (makes 2 cups)
1¼ cups traditional rolled oats
30g (1oz) rolled barley
30g (1oz) rolled rice
½ tsp cinnamon
18 whole almonds, raw, skin on
8 walnut halves
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1½ tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 peeled granny smith apple, diced
1 tsp cinnamon
2–3 tbsp (40–60ml) water
200g (7oz) plain reduced fat yoghurt
1 unpeeled granny smith apple, diced
½ cup (60g/2oz) muesli
To make the muesli
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F
- Spread oats, barley and rice over a baking tray, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake in oven for 8–10 minutes, stirring halfway, until lightly browned. Watch carefully and take care not to burn
- Take mixture out of oven and transfer to a bowl to allow it to cool.
- Spread almonds and walnuts over the tray and bake for 4–5 minutes or until light golden. Add to the toasted oats and allow to stand for 15 minutes or until cooled.
- Add the pepitas and sunflower seed kernels to mixture and mix until evenly combined.
To make the 2 parfaits
- Gently cook the peeled and diced apple in a small saucepan with water and ½ tsp cinnamon over a low heat for 5–8 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt with the remaining ½ tsp of cinnamon and half of the unpeeled diced apple in a small mixing bowl.
- To assemble, spoon 2 tablespoons of yoghurt into each bowl or jar, top with 2 tbsp of muesli and then 2 more tbsp of yoghurt.
- Evenly divide the cooled stewed apple mixture between each bowl, top with the remaining muesli and diced apple, sprinkle over a pinch of extra cinnamon if desired and enjoy.