Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced
2 medium Carisma potatoes, sliced
4 skinless chicken drumsticks
4 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
Zest and juice of 1 orange, plus extra zest, to garnish
2 red onions, cut into wedges
1 cup roasted red capsicum
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 sprigs rosemary or thyme
1 garlic bulb, broken into cloves
50g gluten-free chorizo, diced
2 cups chopped silverbeet
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a large ovenproof baking dish with olive oil. Cook potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain
- Cut several slits in chicken pieces and toss with orange zest.
- Place potatoes, onions and capsicum in a large bowl. Mix orange juice with oil and vinegar in a small bowl; add to vegetables and toss to coat.
- Place vegetables in prepared baking dish and top with chicken. Break rosemary (or thyme) into small sprigs; place two-thirds into chicken slits. Add garlic and remaining rosemary to dish. Sprinkle chorizo over; toss well.
- Bake for 45 minutes, tossing halfway through. Stir through silverbeet in final 10 minutes of cooking time. Season with freshly cracked black pepper; garnish with extra zest and serve.
Cook’s tip: This meal freezes well.
Energy: 2429 kJ (581 Cal)
Fat: 26.5 g
– saturated 6.6 g
Protein: 49.2 g
Carbohydrates: 32.1 g
Fibre: 7.1 g
Sodium: 388 mg s
Recipe and image from Australian Healthy Food Guide’s 101 Diabetes-friendly Recipes Cookbook
Sourced from The GI Foundation