This delicious summer recipe is a tasty meal for family and friends this BBQ season and is brought to us by The Australian Healthy Food Guide.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
3/4 cup pearl barley
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
24 peeled green king prawns (about 500g), tails intact
12 metal skewers (or soaked bamboo skewers)
2 cups baby rocket
2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup mint, roughly chopped
75g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
zest and juice of 1 lemon
lemon wedges, to serve
1. Place a medium saucepan of water over high heat and bring to the boil. Add pearl barley and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until tender; drain and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Combine crushed garlic with 3 teaspoons of the rice bran oil in a small bowl. Thread 3 king prawns onto each skewer.
3. Heat a barbecue grill or set a grill pan over high heat. Brush skewers with garlic oil and cook, turning once and brushing with oil, for 3 minutes, or until prawns colour and slightly char.
4. Meanwhile, combine baby rocket, almonds, tomatoes, mint, feta and onion in a large salad bowl. Add cooked barley to bowl with lemon zest, lemon juice and remaining rice bran oil; toss well.
5. Serve grilled prawn skewers with salad and lemon wedges.