Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 – 4
For those with allergies or intolerance’s, this recipe is both gluten and dairy free.
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp paprika, ground
- 1 tsp oregano, ground
- 1 tsp fennel, ground
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce*
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Pepper (to season)
- Fresh basil to decorate
*If gluten intolerant or allergic, be careful when choosing Worcestershire sauce as most varieties contain gluten
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan over medium heat and gently sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, stirring until onion soft.
- Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and spices, brown sugar and water and allow to simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cannellini beans (after they have been drained and rinsed with water) and continue to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Enjoy on fresh wholemeal bread with a side of smashed avocado! Season with pepper to taste.
To see the original recipe, please visit The Biting Truth. Anna and Alex are two Accredited Pracitising Dietitians from the Biting Truth, who deliver up-to-date, evidence-based health and nutrition tips in innovate and creative ways. For more delicious recipes and nutrition tips, visit: www.thebitingtruth.com