Preparation time: 30 minutes + 20 minutes cooling
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Olive-oil spray
- 400g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely chopped, squeezed of moisture
- 3 medium zucchini, finely chopped, squeezed of moisture
- 2 medium red capsicums, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed, drained, roughly mashed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 200g low-fat natural yoghurt
- ¼ cup mango chutney
- 12 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, zucchini and capsicums with ²⁄³ cup cold water. Cook for 10–12 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and water has evaporated. Add peas, curry paste, chickpeas, spices and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 20 minutes to cool. Stir cottage cheese through.
3. Place 1 filo sheet on a flat surface, spray with oil, top with another sheet and spray with oil. Cut horizontally in half. Repeat with remaining filo sheets. Place ½ cup mixture onto each filo rectangle (parallel to shorter edge). Fold shorter edge over filling, fold in sides then roll up (like sausage rolls).
4. Place parcels on prepared tray. Spray lightly with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake parcels for 30–40 minutes, or until golden.
5. Meanwhile, combine mint and yoghurt in a small bowl. Serve spiced parcels with yoghurt dip, mango chutney and salad leaves.
1541 kJ (369 Cal), 9.5 g fat (saturated 1.7g), 20.3 g protein, 43.9 g carbohydrate, 11.0 g fibre, 708 mg sodium
Recipe and image from Australian Healthy Food Guide’s 101-Diabetes-friendly recipes.
Article sourced from The GI foundation