According to a recent Australian health survey, Aussie adults are not meeting their recommended serves of fruits and veggies each day. In fact, adults on average only consumed 3 serves of vegetables and legumes/beans per day with less than 4% of us consuming the minimum recommended number of serves per day.
We understand it can be tricky to fit in 5 serves of veggies a day (depending on your age and gender) as recommended by the Australian Dietary Guidelines. Well don’t worry – Hit 100 has you sorted! This cheesy Vegetable Slice is chock full of a variety of veggies and it tastes great too! The best thing about this recipe is that it can be used for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a quick on the go snack. If you feel like getting a little creative, try swapping or adding some different veggies!
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 3cm cubes
¼ cup olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp wholemeal flour
120mL skim/light milk
3 small zucchini, coarsely grated
75g low fat feta, crumbled
½ can (210g) asparagus spears, drained
Pepper, to season
- Pre-heat oven to 190ºC (170ºC fan forced)
- Boil, steam or microwave the sweet potato until just tender, drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the paprika and continue cooking for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and egg. Whisk the milk into the mixture until well combined.
- Add the zucchini and feta to the flour mixture along with the onion and sweet potatoes, stirring gently to combine.
- Gently pour the mixture into an ovenproof dished lined with baking paper or lightly greased. Arrange the asparagus spears on top and sprinkle with any remaining feta.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut into 7 slices, add pepper to season and enjoy!
At Hit 100 we love seeing photos of the recipes you have created at home. Please send us through any amazing creations you have made and share them on social media!